Creating your own website nowadays is as easy as it can get all thanks to the tools that are available for free for anyone to use. So, you don’t have to worry much.
Since creating a website is simple and you have no clue how simple it is, we are going to make this guide as simple as it sounds.
By following this guide closely, you will be able to create your own website in just 10 minutes.
#1 Get your own domain name and a hosting provider
A domain name is a web address. An example of well known domain name; facebook.com and youtube.com.
A hosting provider on the other hand is a service that connects your website to the internet.
So you will need to get your own domain name and hosting provider.
To do that, head over to SiteGround. Choose a plan, either StartUp, GrowBig or GoGeek (these are hosting packages that you are choosing – they vary in terms of the number of visitors that you are expecting on a monthly basis).
Once you have chosen among the three, click Get Started.
Now, you have to choose a domain name.
If you have no idea what kind of domain name you should pick, here are some tips:
- If you are creating a website for a business of yours, your domain name should be similar to your business’/company’s name. Example: MyCompany.com
- If you are creating a website for your own self, your name could be your domain name. Example: MyName.com
Once you have a domain name in mind, input it at Please Enter Your Domain section.
And click Proceed.
Then, input your account information details, client information, payment information and purchase information.
Note: Under Purchase Information,
- You can choose where you want your data centre to be located at; Singapore (SG), Chicago (USA), Amsterdam (NL), London (UK) and Milano (IT). It is advised that you choose the data centre that your potential visitors will be coming from. Example: If your visitors are mostly from USA, then choose Chicago (USA) as the data centre.
- Period – Here you can choose the period of payment that you would like to make for your hosting; Trial (1 month), 12 months, 24 months or 36 months.
- Under Extra Services, you can check the box that says Domain Privacy if you would like to protect your personal information from becoming publicly available through the whois services. And you can check the box that says SG Site Scanner if you want your site to be monitored daily and be notified if your website has been hacked or injected with malicious code. (This services are optional)
Once you have completed this section, check the box to confirm that you have read and agree to SiteGround’s terms of service and click Pay Now.
And there you have it. Completing the first step of this guide will get you your own domain name and hosting.
#2 To get your website up and running, you will need to install WordPress
QuickFact: WordPress is a software that is widely used to easily build a website.
Sign in to your SiteGround account.
Click the tab that says My Accounts. Under My Accounts, you will see the domain name that you chose in #1, towards the right is a button that says Manage Account, click on Manage Account.
Then, click the button that says Go to cPanel. And once you are in cPanel, look for the section that says WordPress Tools.
Click on WordPress Installer. And click Install Now.
There are 4 settings that you will need to configure here:
Site Settings – You will need to input your site name and site description. You can ignore the checkbox that says Enable Multisite.
Admin Account – You will need to choose a username and password which you will use to login to your website admin section. Also input your email under Admin Email.
Choose Language – Select the language.
Select Plugins – Check the box that says Limit Login Attempts if you want to limit the number of login attempts to your website’s admin section (You can ignore this section if you don’t want to limit the login attempts).
You can also ignore the section that says Choose Theme. And proceed by clicking Install.
Once it is installed, you will be able to access your website. Simply head over to http://yourdomain.com/.
You have basically created your own website.
#3 Now it’s time to customise it so that your website looks like how you want it to be
Login to your WordPress dashboard. If you are not sure how this works, type in: http://yourdomain.com/wp-admin (Note: Replace “yourdomain” with the domain name you chose.
This is how WordPress dashboard looks like.
The first thing you need to do once you are in the dashboard is to choose a theme. Choosing a theme customises how your website looks like.
Along the sidebar your see on the left, hover the cursor on Appearance and click on Themes. Then, click on Add New Theme.
This is what you will see once you clicked on Add New Theme.
Here, you can find a theme that suits your style of website. It is very easy.
And once you have found your theme, click Install Now and followed by Activate.
Note: Changing WordPress themes will not remove/delete the post, pages and any contents that you have created previously.
#4 How to add a page
Pages are usually created to add an About Me or About Us section on a website. To add your own pages, hover the cursor on Pages and click Add New.
This is where you add the title, text and images of the page (it works similar to Microsoft Word). Once you have input all the details of the page, click Publish.
#5 How to add the pages that you create to the menu (navigation)
Hover the cursor on Appearance and click Menus. Look for the page that you have created in #4 and add it to the list by clicking the check box next to it and then click Add to Menu.
Also check the box that says Home Page Header Menu.
Once you are done, click Save Menu.
#6 How to add a post
Posts are usually created to add a blog (What you are reading now is an example of a blog).
Hover the cursor on Posts and click on Add New. This is where you add the title, text and images of the post. Once you have input all the details of the post, click Publish.
Note: You can also label your posts by adding categories. There are two ways to add categories
- Add it by hovering the cursor Posts and Categories. Input the details of the new category and click Add New Category.
- Add it while you are adding a new post. You will see a section on the right hand side that says Categories (see image below for reference). Click on Add New Category and input the name of the category. Click Add New Category once you are done.
#7 How to change your website title and tagline
Website title and tagline are important as they explain to search engine what is your website all about.
To change your website title and tagline, hover your cursor on Settings and click on General. Edit the section that says Site Title and Tagline. Once you are done, click Save Changes.
The above are the basic things that you need to know on how to create a fully functional WordPress website. Here are some useful links to further guide you: